Job and Internship Opportunities
The Roxie Theater seeks an experienced and creative Communications Associate to support marketing and outreach efforts with a specific focus on audience building. The role fits into a small, dedicated staff where creative duties are shared, initiative is valued and culture is of prime importance. The Communications Associate is a hands-on contributor to the Roxie Theater’s mission in connecting distinctive cinematic experiences to the community.
This person needs to think creatively, work collaboratively, and have the ability to manage projects and produce content at a rapid pace with a keen eye for detail. Above all, this person should have a knowledge of independent/art film and have a passion for the Roxie Theater, its unique programming, and its eclectic audience.
- Maintain the Roxie website. Work with the programming and rentals teams to ensure event listings are accurate and complete.
- Manage creation and distribution of internal weekly Box Office schedules.
- Contribute to Roxie social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). Help maintain a social media calendar, create events, schedule posts and respond to messages.
- Manage Email Marketing. Collaborate with staff to create and distribute weekly Roxie e-newsletters, press releases, maintain & create email lists, assist in sending out special fundraising campaign and film/program focused emails.
- Support the creation of printed materials and web graphics including: bi-monthly calendars, annual reports, membership promotions, fundraising campaigns, trailer slides, posters for film series, and other projects as assigned.
- Manage display of posters and other theater information signs.
- Support the programming team on outreach campaigns for all Roxie events. Work with programmers to identify, contact and secure partnerships with relevant organizations to cross-promote film events.
- Manage interns. Overseeing selection process, scheduling, task assignment and evaluation.
- Intros and Q&As. Introduce and/or moderate Q&As with filmmakers as needed.
- Miscellaneous tasks as needed. Including but not limited to answering the door, phone, print tracking and shipping, and general programming and operational team support.
- 1–3 years marketing/communications experience, ideally for a nonprofit organization or film/media organization
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, English or a related field
- Experience with creating social media messaging for a company or organization on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Experience with WordPress or other website building platforms
- Ability to produce a high volume of quality language and content in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient copy editor
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interact comfortably with various personalities
- Exemplary organizational skills and attention to detail and ability to prioritize
- Basic graphic design skills
- Ability to work occasional weekend & weekday evening events
- Hunger for knowledge about programming and theater operations at a nonprofit cinema
- Team player & collaborator
- Basic video editing skills preferred
Communications Associate will join the Roxie as an hourly employee at 32-40 hours a week with the possibility of expansion to a full time salaried role after 90 days. Compensation: $18/hour.
The Roxie is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by April 5th.
Intern with us!
Our interns are an essential part of the Roxie team. Interns work with the Programming and Operations Departments to learn what it takes to succeed behind-the-scenes of a historic, independent, non-profit cinema. Interning is a great way to meet fellow film-lovers and gain access to our exciting programming and special events! Our interns come from a wide variety of backgrounds, from film school to marketing to media students and everything in between.
Film Exhibition Internship
The Roxie programming and operations interns assist the programming team with outreach as well as with event planning. Interns help maintain the upkeep of our website and ticketing site by adding new events and showtimes, creating descriptive text, and helping maintain our poster displays. Interns get a behind the scenes look into the booking of a film to the completion of the live screening event, and assist with day to day preparation and outreach along the way. Interns also work with the operations team to support the day to day logistics of running a historic theater! Interns with unique skills such as video editing, photography and other interests have opportunities and are encouraged to expand the parameters of the internship.
The Roxie seeks student interns or recent graduates regularly for the fall, spring and summer semesters. If you would like to find out more about joining the team or our current internship needs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org