Jobs, Internships and Volunteer Opportunities
Executive Director/Creative Director
The Executive Director/Creative Director is the chief visionary, advocate, programmer, host, resource attractor, and manager for the organization. The tone this positions sets is the tone for the Roxie—both internally and externally. The ED/CD is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. Responsibilities include: provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors, staff and community, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board; developing the programmatic direction and quarterly calendar; creating an exciting and coherent brand experience; ensuring fiscal accountability and the highest professional standards; fundraising through grants, individual gifts, sponsorships and membership drives, and creating a positive atmosphere for the staff, partners and patrons. The position is also expected to be out and about in the community and the field to build the Roxie’s reputation as a key contributor to the Bay Area arts ecosystem, and a leader in the emerging New American Art House movement. The position reports to the Board of Directors.
In addition, as Creative Director this position sets the tone and schedule for all Roxie programming. The position works in close collaboration with the Director of Partnerships and Community Programming as well as a network of independent programmers to ensure that, taken as a whole, the calendar balances genres, forms and communities while maintaining the level of audacity and excellence for which the Roxie is known.
- Develop a programmatic strategy that builds audience, revenue and partnerships.
- Scout prospective new titles and pre-screen requested and unsolicited materials.
- Secure film bookings and negotiate terms with distributors.
- Create a network of diverse independent programmers in conjunction with the Partnerships and Community Programming Director to expand the Roxie’s reach and expertise and to appeal to the Bay Area’s diverse audiences and points of view.
- Celebrate and advance the Roxie’s core values of independence, excellence, risk-taking and irreverence.
- Develop signature Roxie programming to include series, ongoing partnerships, midnight movies, and other programs that will build a sustained relationship with key audience segments.
- Host audience and guests through live introductions to screenings, moderating Q&As with talent, hanging with talent (and the audience) before and after shows.
- Work collaboratively with Partnerships and Community Programming Director to manage the internal calendar.
- Lead monthly programming meetings with staff, independent programmers and key board members to ensure maximum impact for each show.
- Develop a coherent and singular brand experience that permeates every aspect of the organization.
- Create a dynamic messaging environment that enables the many voices of the Roxie to retain their spirit and individuality while supporting the Roxie’s overall vision and voice.
- Develop a dynamic marketing, communications and public relations strategy.
- Ensure productivity, transparency, and the collaborative nature of the Roxie’s working environment.
- Supervise senior staff.
- Ensure compliance with workforce regulations and applicable laws.
- Provide support for senior staff in hiring, training, supervising new staff / Interns.
- Encourage staff to challenge themselves in their roles and act as leaders of the Roxie both inside and outside of the organization.
- Ensure that program areas are communicating and working effectively with each other. Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
- Work with Operations Director to ensure best in class presentation and facilities standards.
- Oversee bookkeeping and Conduct Monthly Financial Reconciliation.
- Ensure all financial reports are up-to-date and in full compliance with non-profit accounting.
- Work with Operations Director, and BOD Treasurer to create and manage budgets, financial records and reports, cash flow and balances.
- Oversee maintenance of official records and documents, ensure grant compliance, contracts, etc.
- Work with Senior Staff and Board to develop and approve FY16-17 Budget and ensure fidelity.
- Work with Operations Director, and Board Treasurer to maintain ongoing audit data and schedule when applicable.
- Manage donor outreach and strategy.
- Develop grant-funding strategies, and prepare proposals, applications, reports, budgets, correspondence and other written and financial materials.
- Manage sponsorship program.
- Ensure the Roxie satisfies existing obligations of ongoing projects and grants, working with timelines and budget, and report completions.
- Work directly with BOD on priorities, timeline, and meetings with individual funders.
- Meet with major donors when needed to ensure donor relationships.
- Work with staff and board on Annual Membership Drive and End of Year
- Work with Fundraising Committee on Cultivation Events & strategy.
- Work with the Board of Directors and committees to assure organizational and financial health and forward strategy.
- Work with Board to continue development by recruiting and cultivating board candidates.
- Work with Board on board governance, finance and fundraising.
- Co-plan and co-facilitate with the Board President upcoming Board Meetings per the annual schedule.
- Participate in ad-hoc Committee work as needed.
- Work with BOD Committee, and consultants if applicable, on Strategic Plan including Facilities Plan to prepare for long-term site control.
- See that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and future trends.
- Demonstrated ability to program film across genres and forms.
- Experience building live events around film programming.
- Experience in managing nonprofit organizations, preferably arts related
- Ability to motivate and empower employees and managers.
- Strong fiscal management abilities, including budget, cash flow, grant and financial administration.
- A broad ranging knowledge and curiosity about the arts, film in particular (but not exclusive to.)
- Excellent writing skills: the ability to communicate about films in an exciting way.
- Contagious enthusiasm mixed with intelligence.
- Social skills to develop relationships with donors, talent, staff, film distributors and the audience.
- Showmanship. Hugely important to us.
- Appreciation of film is imperative.
- Previous experience as an ED or similar position.
- Previous experience as a head programmer.
- Proficiency in film editing and/or directing.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, September 14, 2015.
Volunteers and interns are an integral part of the successful operation of the Roxie Theater. We are always looking for volunteers of all ages to assist within various departments of the theater. In addition to working alongside others who want to support and celebrate independent cinema, you get to watch movies!
If you would like to join the team, please fill out the application form below. We will be in touch with you soon.